View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't think Gandalf was ever enhanced in the sense that his own power was changed. A person is a person, with the strength that is given him. To artificially add or take away a person's power like a baking ingredient is to change his essence. No, I cannot agree with that. What I see as the more likely cause of the change from Grey to White is that Gandalf was allowed to display more of his power and to display it more blatantly. The limitations were lifted slightly, the curtain half raised. But did we ever see Gandalf display the full might of his power? I believe he did, fighting the balrog, and he might have if he was forced into a head to head with the WK. But we don't actually see either of these scenarios, the latter never happening so neither Denethor nor we will ever know, and the former happening away from observers' eyes so we can only vaguely imagine the power explosion of that battle.

With regards to Gandalf's doubts and too much trust and yielding of leadership, I would caution against a Boromir-like interpretation of the lack of skill - power, wisdom, knowledge, etc - but to consider that these are actually manifestations of good attributes: humility, consideration of multiple possibilities and outcomes, respect for those who deserve it, faith in the free people. So I am not sure where you are getting at with all these examples. They don't seem to be reflective of Gandalf's power.