View Single Post
Old 08-28-2000, 07:05 PM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Literary Devices & such for Revised Silmarillion

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Well , as a few of us are talking about a live Silmarillion Forum {see &quot;the Project is still...&quot;}
I thought it timely to introduce a few preliminary questions I think we shall have to consider.
I have no strong opinion re: any of these

1] do we want to use literary devices to link disparate sections [i.e. Silm. Turin Turambar W? Unfinished Tales Turin} something like
&quot;Fragments of this story were preserved ingreater detail, from Rivendell [OR UNNAMED SOUCE]yet alas there is much thathas been handed down in theRed book and Bilbo's Translations from the Elvish that is incomplete.
2] Eriol/Aelfwine or the links themselves[ in whole or part] w/out the Eriol 'Myth'
I rather like the tale in HoME2 which I have read a couple of times but am unclear what happensw/ it in Vols 4-5 it seems to be gone by Morgoth's Ring, but maybe it could still be of some use w/out the england thing.
3] Appendixes-seems like JRRT had some ideas for this[Finrod and Andreth] and itseems to be a good spot for an elvish dictionary [ if we ever get that far !]

well hopefully others have some more salient and developed thoughts about this and related ieas; my aim w/ this was just to generate some input.

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote