View Single Post
Old 08-29-2000, 06:14 AM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Literary Devices &amp; such for Revised Silmarillion

I feel that the best way to present such materials is in the form of annotations or an &quot;appendix&quot;. I am extremely hesitant about engaging in actual &quot;rewriting&quot; or the creation of detailed stories based upon hints or outlines in JRRT's work. In my view, this goes back to the unsettled issue of what is our goal. A canon, to me, would be historical in nature, clearing up (or more accurately stating supported positions on) inconsistencies and filling in gaps in the Silm. -- a scholarly work rather than literary. I would advocate against creating new &quot;texts&quot;. The writing of new texts would more properly fall within the category of fan fiction rather than a canon. Such fan fiction-type writing would have value but only if separated from the &quot;canon&quot;. I view the canon as more of a reference work.

BTW - the &quot;canon&quot; concept is being attacked again over at the White Council (xenite). To his credit, MM has started a second thread suggesting that there exists both room and a reason for a canon. If we can ever begin setting pen to paper, I wonder if access to the underlying debates should be provided so that readers can reach their own critical conclusions.

</p>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000004>Mithadan </A> at: 8/29/00 8:15:28 am