View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #319
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Tollers:

Tollers grinned back at Colren and responded. "So you want to know what folk are like around here? That's a hard question to answer in a few words. But maybe this will help. Just take a look at those bowls." Tollers nodded towards the center of the table where a number of platters sat overflowing with food. "I slipped them out of the kitchen when the staff wasn't looking. You see, whenever I eat with friends, I prefer the food be served family style, platters and bowls lined up in the middle with everybody reaching out and scrambling to get big spoonfuls onto their plate. That way everybody shares and there's always enough for seconds. That's what my own family did. And that's the way most folk around here are. A family sticks together and shares. If you're rich you might have fancier things in the pot to share. If you're poor, you get by the best you can. Some eat more and some eat less, but nobody in the family goes hungry."

"Most folks around here make family the center of their lives. What happens to their mum or brother is the most important thing in the world. They might even live a mile or two down the road. That's what I do. But they never stop thinking about the folks back home. I'd like to work here a while and then take a little trip adventuring. But at the end of it all, I'll come back to the old burrow and maybe build myself a little house right next door. Maybe help my sisters find hobbit lads who'll be good to them or take care of my dad when he gets too old to do the farming."

Tollers sighed and shrugged his shoulders, "I guess that's not too exciting for the likes of you, but that's how most folk around here think. Now, that's enough of me. Even if our Elf doesn't get back soon, I'm going to insist you tell me where you're from."