View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #21
d4rk3lf
Pile O'Bones

d4rk3lf has just left Hobbiton.
For me, Ian acting of Gandalf completely ruined the film.
I am not talking about his look (he looks just like Gandalf), but psychologically this is just not the Gandalf from the book. Not even close.

To make it clear, I'll try to find some Gandalf characteristics in the book, and I hope most of you will agreed with me.
He is:
1) Charismatic and have great authority
2) Full of (hidden) energy
3) Very rhetoric
4) Wise and intelligent.
5) He is not revealing his plans to almost anybody, which makes him pretty mystic.

Now, let's take a look at the Gandalf from the movie:
Is he charismatic? I don't think so. He don't have the authority to make people listen to him, even when they don't like what they hear. Hi just looks week with his tired eyes, I would dare and say: his expressions is boring.
It's more like a funny old man that hits hobbit roof with his head, and "ouch" funny. Is that Gandalf ther gray? I think not.
Where do we see a fameus Gandalf rhetoric power in the movies? He just had (completely unnecessary) arguing with Elrond, and even there he is just a tired worried old man.
Where do we see his ability to act quickly and wise during the movie? To make everybody obey his quick demands.

I was not convinced during the fight with Balrog, and even much more disappointed with the fight with the Nazgul.
If somebody don't believe me, read the book where Gandalf meets Nazgul, and then watch that same fragment in the movie.
If you say that's the same characters, then I admit something is wrong with me, and my interpretation.

P.S. Lack of charisma is also what ruined Aragorn character aswell, imho.
From the other side, Saruman was great, and had just the right charisma for the Istari kind.
d4rk3lf is offline   Reply With Quote