View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Marwhini
Wight

Marwhini has just left Hobbiton.
The Lord of the Rings: Book 6; Chapter 4: The Field of Cormallen (I do not have a page number, because it is a Kindle Edition from which I am getting the reference)

" Then Gandlaf, leaving all such matters of battle and command to Aragorn and the other lords, stood upon the hill-top and called; and down to him came the great eagle, Gwaihir the Windward, and stood before him.

'Twice you have born me, Gwaihir my friend,' said Gandalf. 'Thrice shall pay for all, if you are willing. You will not find me a burden much greater than when you bore me from Zirakzigil, where my old life burned away.'

'I would bear you.' answered Gwahir, 'whither you will, even were you made of stone.'"

This implies that not only was their absolutely no reluctance by the Eagles to act on Gandalf's request, but that Gwaihir seems to be in some sort of debt to Gandalf (else what is he "paying for" in 'thrice shall pay for all'?).

In the films.... I can see how some "Contrivance" to eliminate this question might be needed, since it is something that people aren't going to catch on to very easily just how bad an idea it is, nor of the deeper relationship between the Eagles and Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond that is likely to exist.

So... As for whether The Films 'should' have had some contrivance.... Probably.

But then doing so runs counter to pretty much everything that Tolkien was about.

MB
Marwhini is offline   Reply With Quote