View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01 AM   #42
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Hi.

In this chapter you indeed feel breathless, waiting for the onset of a ruinous storm. Many things have been set off against each other in preparation of their coming clash, like the indomitable walls of Minas Tirith against the spear of terror of Minas Morgul. The White Tower must have a lot going for it, as no enemy has ever stepped foot inside it, but Sauron does know how to hit it hard where it counts.

Now, I find this description of Faramir interesting:
Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the sadness of the Elder Race.
LR V 4
Now, compare this to the Captain of the opposing force. The Witch-King was also one of the Kings of Men that survived into a later time, yet this one was touched with the malice and darkness of Sauron.

Later on, we see this said about Faramir:
He was a captain that men would follow . . . even under the shadow of the black wings.
ibid
What about the Witch-King? What does his men think of him?
[Messenger: ]His own folk quail at him, and they would slay themselves at his bidding.
ibid
They were both captains Men would follow, but for different reasons. One allows his men to overcome fear, the other uses fear to overcome his men.

Speaking of the Witch-King . . .
[Witch-King: ]Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!
ibid
[Merry] shivered, for it came suddenly to him that it was the face of one without hope who goes in search of death.
LR V 3--emphasis mine
Funny how Dernhelm got her . . . I mean his wish.

And about Denethor:
Denethor [asked] . . . questions about . . . the position of Éomer, the king's nephew.
LR V 4
Why, I wonder? Did he think that Théoden would do what he does?
[Denethor: ][Sauron] will not come save to triumph over me when all is won. He uses others as weapons. So do all great lords, if they are wise . . .
ibid

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-28-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: inserting actual analysis
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote