View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Battle Prophecy

There is one more form of magic that didn't make my above list. Before major conflicts, there is often an exchange of words that might at first seem like a form of taunting, but in fact is an exchange of prophecies. One of my favorites is between Gandalf and the Witch King over the fallen gates of Minas Tirith. I haven't my books with me. Pardon if I haven't got it precisely right.

Note, that earlier in the book, it is established that in Minas Tirith, the day and the First Hour begin with sunrise, when the cock crows.

Gandalf : "Fall back into the abyss awaiting you and your master!"

WK : "Old fool! Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now, and curse in vain!"

Cock : Crows, thus ending the hour.

Rohirim host : Horns horns…

Here, the Witch King might be said to have made a mistake. According to the terms of the exchanged prophecies, Gandalf had to die then for the curse to be in vain. If Gandalf didn't die then, both the Witch King and his master would fall into an abyss. Gandalf wasn't aiming just to save Minas TIrith, he prophesied a final victory. The Witch King allowed Gandalf's effort to stand.

A short time later, the Witch King loses another exchange of prophecies.

WK : "No mortal man may hinder me."

Eowyn : "But no mortal man am I. You look upon a woman! Begone if ye be not deathless!"

Now, I do not know if Eowyn as a member of a noble house had been trained in the art of prophecy as a battle skill, but it might be said that she defeated the Witch King right then with words, before a blow was struck. If she spoke out of love for her uncle and despair over his fall, the words are no weaker. The Witch King seemed to know what she had done. He hesitated before beginning the combat, but begin it he did.

Frodo : "You shall have neither the ring nor me!"

Gandalf : "You shall not pass!"

How would one make up rules for this in a role playing game? One can't. The closest I have been able to come to it in a Middle Earth game was Aerlinn firmly declaring that the wight shall return to his barrow. At that, she didn't dare do so, didn't dare initiate an exchange of prophecy, until the early glow in the east of the soon to rise sun gave extra force to her words. One finds nothing of the pre battle prophecy in the AQ rules. Still, I'm waiting on it, not in the rules, but in play. Should some evil creature predict doom, Aerlinn shall be looking for a way to turn his words and thus turn the doom.

I see role playing games as a shared daydream. Perhaps any sub-creation is a shared daydream. Middle Earth, in the beginning, wasn't much intended to be shared widely, perhaps not in a wider circle than the Inklings. Obviously an author or a games master will have a greater role in sharing a daydream than a reader or player.

I'm just not sure that academic formality is the only approach to sharing a daydream. Can I prove that my interpretation of battle prophecy is what Tolkien had in mind? Not in any formal sense. I just find embracing my interpretation enhances the daydream. It increases the depth and the wonder. What more is there to do? Still, one has to recognize the magic to share the magic.

Last edited by blantyr; 04-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote