View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #16
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
NA-TI-26<Sil77 In the time that followed Túrin grew high in favour with Orodreth, … Therefore they gave him dwarf-mail, to guard him; and in a grim mood he found also in the armouries a dwarf-mask all gilded, and he put it on before battle, and his enemies fled before his face.
I'm doubtful about including the dwarf-mask. From HoMe XI (p. 144 in my edition):
Quote:
In the published Silmarillion (p.210) I adopted a passage from another text in the vast assemblage of the Narn papers, telling how Turin found in the armouries of Nargothrond ‘a dwarf-mask all gilded', and wore it into battle. It seems probable that this story arose at a stage when my father was treating the Dragon-helm as lost and out of the story (from the end of Dor-Cuarthol, the Land of Bow and Helm, when Turin was taken by the Orcs), and I extended Turin's wearing of it to the battle of Tumhalad (p.212).
This suggests to me that the version wherein Turin finds a dwarf-mask in the armouries was superceded by the version that extends the story of the Dragon-helm to Nargothrond. In other words, I had thought that the dwarf-mask was only introduced by Tolkien because the Dragon- helm had been lost; when the story was changed so that the Dragon-helm was no longer lost, the dwarf-mask was dropped.

But I may be wrong. Again we are stung by the lack of the original Narn material.

NA-RG-101: I can think of no suitable synonym for "foully" alliterating in g. We might try:

Quote:
NA-RG-101{Flinding}[Gwindor] {go-Fuilin}the faithful thus foully betray, {2230}
We are pushing it a bit with "the faithful" by now, but I think it's actually quite appropriate here - Gwindor may well emphasize his own faithfulness to Turin, as opposed to the betrayal he perceives.

NA-RG-102: How about:
Quote:
NA-RG-102{Flinding}[Gwindor] {go-Fuilin}[son of Guilin], who had {found} [gained] his home
. . . which works nicely with "lost" in the next line.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote