View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 03:14 AM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ah, a lovely thread full of virtue that rekindles my faith in human nature! Truly, some of Tolkien's characters inject profound truisms about the nature of war and of killing. But it is never thrown bluntly in our face, as done by so many cheesy Hollywood movies and countless millions of books. It is a rare, subtle treatment of the issue. I am constantly amazed at the depth of what on the surface appears a one dimensional work. I don't know whether to feel pity or anger towards people who don't bother to delve below the exterior.

I particularly like the conversation between Shagrat and Gorbag, in what must be my second favourite chapter (next to The Shadow of the Past), The Choices of Master Samwise. They never appear noble or wise, or even kind, but nevertheless show their 'human' sides by revealing how badly they are treated by their masters, and how little they actually want to fight. They are caught between the Whips of Sauron and the Swords of the Elves/Edain. Evil they may seem, but even Orcs are living creatures. I don't think Tolkien believes that any killing is without regret or wrong, or, sorry I can't find the word I'm looking for!