View Single Post
Old 05-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #10
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We think the enemy is evil, and usually they think we are, which leads to both sides claiming to be fighting evil while, in a way, both sides are evil. It is discombobulating and I think the reason as to why it seems so complicated is because there are no Evil or Good unless one uses evil to describe yourself and good to describe the opposing force. It is all an issue of views and perspective and runs too deep to comprehend until one has died. Maybe that is what Tolkien is trying to say. Everyone wants to know answers toimpossible questions. Killing is cruel in some oppinions and fair in another. Like in the Bible. Followers of God fight wars sometimes in the name of God, but is not one of the commandments "though shall not kill?" God tests good people's faith with bad expereinces and horror and and seems not to punish the bad. But we know God is right and all will be just. Tolkien was very religious. Maybe he is trying to reflect these mysteries?

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Nyneve ]