View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #115
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I just wanted to pop in here and say that I've been following along with the discussion, though I don't have a whole lot to add myself...

I've been back at the Downs and posting in the Scarburg Meadhall after only being around very spottily for the last couple of years, and I'm remembering how much I used to love the RPG's here. I would love to get involved in a game, if we want to try and start up a new one or two.

As far as the plot-driven vs. character-driven argument goes, I have played in both sorts and really enjoyed both types (I think my favorite RPG that I've ever written in was Shadow of the West which was extremely character-driven, but that was also what could be called a much higher-complexity game for the purpose of this discussion). For the purpose of drumming up some new players and trying to bring the RPG fora back to life, though, I think some simpler, plot-driven games would be better - something fairly ready-made like what Fea was describing.

As far as the structure of the fora go, I think it would be good to keep two levels anyway... Rohan for somewhat more complicated games and the Shire for more basic games. I don't think it needs to be quite so regimented with who's allowed to play where, though; the distinction would more be for the type of game and the commitment level that each would require. The emphasis shouldn't be so much on "the good gamers go here and the noobs go there." Rohan (and especially Gondor!) always seemed so intimidating to me when I started RPG'ing and I don't think that's how it needs to be. Actually, the whole RPG thing was so intimidating to me when I first got interested that I actually read along with an entire game before joining one myself - there are an awful lot of rules, so it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

Durelin mentioned the idea of getting rid of character bios. I don't like this idea at all. One of my favorite parts (I'm not even kidding) of RPG's is getting started and making up a new character to fit into the story. For me, writing the character bio really helps me get into character from the start, as well as giving me an idea of what other people's characters are going to be like and how mine might interact with them. If you will, it jump-starts the creative process.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at least for now, things need to be tightened up a little on the game owners/moderators side in that a couple of shorter, well structured games might do a lot to drum up some interest, but also maybe loosened up a bit from the perspective of new players. I was daunted at first, but I don't think there's any need for that - it's really not that complicated, and new players shouldn't feel too intimidated to try.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote