View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 09:48 AM   #23
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Consider me the odd man out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Read The Hobbit as a young teen, enjoyed it immensely, came to the final page, said "That was nice" ... and from there, returned to drowning myself in vast quantities of science fiction: Asimov, Bradbury, etc. and in the pop culture, Star Trek and Star Wars. (Loved the cameraderie between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy ... loved the cameraderie among Luke, Leia, Han, Obi Wan.)

First read LOTR as an adult a couple of years ago based on a suggestion by an e-mail pen pal whom I'd met in an X-Files forum. Was involved in role-playing games for years and years, not realizing it was Tolkien-based. In a strange twist of irony, in college I began playing a computer game called "Moria." Completely unaware of what Moria was, I spent countless hours going up against the Balrog.

As for which books influenced me during my formative years? Having read and reread my children's Bible and wanting more, I was introduced to Butler's Lives of the Saints at about age seven or eight. The story of Our Lady of Fatima also had a profound influence.

So no, I do not credit JRRT with shaping my moral system / personal philosophy / worldview. Reading The Hobbit at a young age ... as worthwhile and entertaining a book it was, had no discernible effect on me. I would say that the books that molded (not so much changed) my life were the ones mentioned earlier: the Bible, and Butler's Lives of the Saints.

Gandalf the Grey

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote