View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 01:05 PM   #35
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is a good thread to bring up again, 'specially for us newer BDers.

I agree with and recognise a lot of what's already been said here. Suffice to say, I can't imagine being without Tolkien. Even through the dark-ages of the 1990s when Tolkien was not cool I defended LOTR as my favourite book. It's been with me since I was 12 and as I've grown older I can see that a lot of the aspects I found within Tolkien semed to gel with and deepen pre-existing ideas or characteristics I had.

I was brought up on fairy stories and horrifying local folk tales, so I reckon it was only a matter of time before I discovered Tolkien. The first thing Tolkien inspired in me was the urge to read more fantasy, but it just did not match up, even though along the way I've discovered a handful of rare works which are wonderful. Probably due to me not being satisfied in the fiction I had read, I also read a lot about myths and legends, particularly in the British tradition. Leading on from this, I also developed a great interest in history and archaeology.

One thing I can certainly put down to Tolkien was my interest in language. Tolkien stimulated an unnoticed interest in linguistics and poetry which eventually culminated in me wanting to study English (even though I still think I would have been much better doing architecture or ancient history).

One of my parents constantly challenged all of us with discussions about politics, morals, philosophy and so on, and Tolkien deepened this questioning. Like the characters in ME, I don't have a specified religion, but I do have something which might be called faith, and I see not just right and wrong, but the 'grey' areas in between, as did Gandalf.

Tolkien hasn't influenced everything about me by a long way; there are many other things which have contributed to the way I think, but I can't deny the influence.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote