Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #100
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
The story of Ainulindele (sorry if I've spelt that wrong) bares similarities to some Biblical accounts. Firstly, creation being an offspring of Gods thought is a concept I have heard and bares resemblance to the Ainur. Also the way the Ainur sing to Eru is like onto how the Angels sing onto God, and also Melkor's discord is like Satan's rebellion.
Not sure where this fits in, but consider: if your knowledge/experience/personal beliefs include a 'fallen angel' and 'angels singing', etc, and if you were to read the Silmarillion, most definitely you would compare the two ideas and say, "these are similar." If you had the same knowledge and read a car repair manual, you would have a tough time finding the same nodes of concordance (though I find car repair a great way to induce prayer ).

Another example: The SpM and I both are male, are fathers and have posted pictures of ourselves holding our children in the picture forum. From some distant POV that makes SpM = alatar. Now, zooming in a bit, you would see that he and I differ in many many ways. Even if we were clones, we still would be different at some level. And some of my posts would indicate that I'm not always running on the same brain cells...

Now, just because the two ideas (for example, those expressed in the Silmarillion and the Christian Bible/theology) have the same words, themes, etc does not make them equal, especially as we humans are great at seeing patterns where none truly exist.

Apologies to SpM in advance for any inferred insult ("he compared me to himself - the nerve! ).