View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"People do not decide to become extraordinary....

They decide to accomplish extraordinary things."

“You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – ... You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.”

I found these quotations today as I had thought change my signature to commemorate the life of the mountaineer, Sir Edmund Hillary (to whom both are attributed). It has often been mentioned that the characters in Tolkien's works are predominantly of exalted birth and born to some high destiny. Other discussion have centred around the role of fate.

But these words made me think of hobbits and Sam in particular. Hobbits are not a particularly noble race but Sam alone (of any character of any significance) is not high status in his own culture. He will end up so in an admirable piece of social mobility but his achievement is not through the machinations of destiny or holding to the concept of nobless oblige, but becasue his determination to look after his master is sufficient motivation. I am not sure it makes him less of a hero - at least not in my eyes. Any thoughts or am I rambling again?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote