View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I second your thoughts about Sam, Pippin, Gimli, etc - all the characters who followed the "main heroes" out of free will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlverGlass View Post
As Frodo's choice was very limited, he sort of had to do it.
True, but it was also very extreme - more so than a choice of "follow him till Buckland or till Bree" would be, at least.

I see what you mean, though - Frodo already had some responsibility for the Ring and the fate of ME, and his friends had none, but they deliberately took it onto themselves. There was more of a difference, even though the choice made a lesser difference (at least at the moment when it was made. Later on Elron finds out just how right Gandalf was to allow the hobbits to go.)

I don't know if that made any sense. The more I talk the more I confuse myself.

Quote:
If someone treads a particular path simply because he/she has no choice, I wouldn't call that person a hero.
Depends. As you said, some choices are simply not applicable, so they aren't considered to be choices from the character's point of view.

For example, I think that every Elf that crossed the Helcaraxe is a hero for that deed - but they didn't have much of a choice.

Quote:
I am sorry but I don't really agree with this particular point, Galadriel. Becoming orcs or any other embodiment of evil was no choice at all. The people of ME (most of them) had their pride and their determination, if nothing else. If we have to drag the matter of choice to a level where good and evil clashes, then Sauron or even Melkor would not have had to work so hard to establish their dominion.

Everybody has choices, this is very very true. But the extent of those choices are certainly limited. Not for all, but for most.
Point taken.