View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well others have beaten me to correcting the quotation but I would point out Galadriel's blessing of Gimli - that his hand should flow with gold but over him gold should have no dominion? Here I think gold is used to mean treasure in general.

I don't think Tolkien sets silver above gold in that way. They are generally balanced - LAurelin and Telperion (and their latterday representetives the white tree found by Aragorn and the Party Tree), Minas Anor is balanced by Minas Ithil and Galadriel's gold with Celeborn's silver - I think gold has the upper hand in those cases!! It is taste - whether you prefer day or night - and the elves at least loved the stars most (literally and figuratively jewels in the night sky ). The most notable conflicts were over jewels (Silmarils, Arkenstone..) .

the One RIng being a notable exception - it's seeming ordinariness, making it seem so sinister. Unheated it is basically a wedding band (and how wierd is it hearing of people using replicas as such!) such as is used today and certainly by the elves then.

Other points that may be relevant:
Thranduil's fondness for treasure was noted and it was silver and pearls that he loved best if I recall rightly?

Elvish distinguishes between Gold as a metal and as a colour - malta and laure...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote