View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #26
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Lolidir, I understand what you're saying. Boromir88 originally asked several questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
So, why does Tolkien choose gold to tie in with "evil?" What is it specifically about gold that Tolkien says it tends to have an evil trend? And why is Silver not evil? What makes it pure and good and not connected to evil the way gold is?
But he was assuming that gold (or an intemperate desire for it) is the root of evil in Tolkien's world. You say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolidir
The root of evil in LOTR and possibly in the world today, is the lust for power and the way you use that power.
You also point out that gold or money as such is of little use to Sauron or Saruman; what they strove for was power. At least, this is how I understand your argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
is it not true that money is power?
In many ways gold/money can be power, and vice versa. But I think we're getting a little confused. That is not a mutally inclusive definition. You can't write

Money = Power

and leave it at that. Think of a Venn diagram: Two overlapping circles, one labeled Money and the other Power. The area where they overlap does represent Money = Power. Think of Big Business. But the areas that don't overlap show those circumstances where one does not give the other. Money without Power is Robinson Crusoe and his gold: On a deserted island, money doesn't mean power. It means nothing. Power without Money is an even smaller area, but it's there. I think C. S. Lewis wrote about his experience at school as being one; as a society it was virtually moneyless but there was nevertheless a rigid, even vicious, power hierarchy.

All that said, I don't think that the desire for either gold/money or power is THE root of evil, either in Tolkien's world or this. Honestly, I cannot separate my analysis from the true version of the saying: "The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." I believe this is completely true. Take this as my beginning assumption, if you will. There are two key points that haven't been really discussed:
  1. It says A root. Implication: There is more than one root of evil. You cannot attribute all evil to the love of money. If it could, "a" would have been "the."
  2. It says "all kinds of evil." - not one kind, not all evil. NASB says "sorts." This is a general statement - "Loving money can lead to lots of bad things." Not one specfic bad thing. Not every bad thing. This, too, implies that there is more than one root of evil.
I think that both the desire for gold and the desire for power are roots of evil, in this and other worlds. B88 and Lolidir have given examples of both. The common thread, though, is that immoderate lust for something not yet possessed, for something more. So if the love of power is also a root of all sorts of evil, what else is there? Are there other examples of evil that aren't attributable to a love for either power or money?