View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #53
Captain of Despair
Pile O'Bones

Captain of Despair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
It is Gandalf who halts The Lord of the Nazgul by saying "You cannot enter here", why did he not just keep riding forward until he heard the horns of the North and then halt.
It doesn't seem to me that Gandalf's words were the reason that the Witchking halted. It seemed more like the Witchking was confronting Gandalf as the warriors of old did before battling. The Witchking threw back his hood, countered Gandalf's words with a few of his own, and proceded to raise his flaming sword as if ready to attack.

In response to obloquy: I don't believe the Witchking to be on par with Gandalf, but I also don't believe Gandalf to be equal to Sauron.

Another comment I would like to make (to no person in particular) is about the infamous prophecy. People always use it to justify why a person could or could not defeat the Witchking, but this is one of my pet peeves. All the prophecy meant is that the Witchking would be defeated by Eowyn and Merry. It did not mean that, in theory, a man could not defeat him or any non-man could.