View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #218
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Child - in terms of demonstrable "desert savvy" as you put it... Airefalas is a professional sailor, therefore he has an entirely different set of knowledge and skills than the average desert dweller. At the same time, he is neither stupid nor easily frightened. I get the impression that Ráma thinks he is both, but if it would make her feel better to have him to kill a snake for her, then he will be happy to oblige.

Some of his skills that would translate well to the desert: navigation, weapons & fighting, climbing, knot-tying, anything to do with knowledge of or predicting of the wind. He's a good strategist and usually pretty insightful. He just doesn't much like camels. Oh, and he would also be good at being frugal with water as on long ocean voyages, one generally does have a very limited daily ration of fresh water. As far as finding a good spot for digging a well? Ya got the wrong guy.

He's a very quick study and can learn desert skills given the opportunity, but expecting him to be like a Bedouin right out of the bag, so to speak, when he comes from the ocean is a little optimistic.

Esty - I don't know what the others have planned, but that sounds good to me. Hilde & I have a subplot in mind that we have created based on the notion that Mithadan & Airefalas would end up (somehow) in the Eagle encampment. If they don't end up there then I suppose Hilde & I can adjust, but that's the assumption I was operating on.