View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 06:08 AM   #394
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

Ędegard wondered what the sudden rush was all about. He urged his mount toward Taitheneb and asked him for word.

"Lord Amroth has been with Nimrodel in his dreams, and is eager to find her. He is light of heart this day." Taitheneb nodded toward the man who had been a youthful blacksmith until a little over a week ago, and Ędegard saw that it was so.

"My thanks, Taitheneb."

Ędegard let his horse slow to the pace of the other humans, who asked what he had learned, and he passed on his information.

"That is well," said Liornung. "Maybe we are close to the end of our quest. I grow eager to drink and sing at the taverns of Edoras again."

Ędegard glanced at Argeleafa. Liornung's words had put a worry into her eyes. Ędegard closed with her until they rode side by side.

"You seem ill at ease of a sudden, Leafa. What ails you?"

She colored slightly and glanced at him. "If this quest is soon over, I must return to my father among the wanderers."

Ędegard could not stop himself. 'It need not be so! Come with me to Edoras!"

Leafa colored more and smiled. She glanced at Liornung, who had been humming one of his tunes; he grinned and winked at Leafa. She went crimson and her smile was covered by her free hand.

"I am missing something," Ędegard said, an involuntarily half smile coming to his face. "Tell me, please."

Leafa met his eyes, the color retreating from her face for the most part. "What would we do in Edoras, Ędegard?"

"We - I - " They were to it. Did he mean to say what he had thought to? Or were there other things that should be said first? He had thought that he might need to go to her father and ask for his blessing first, but that would not be at Edoras. "We could - you could - " Leafa watched him, her lips pursed, a smile in her eyes, expectant. This would not do.

"Hold!" He cried to all the riders, and grabbed Leafa's reins while keeping hold of his own, and slowed their horses. When they were stopped, he dismounted and went straightway to Leafa's mount. The other humans had slowed and were watching him, but the Elves continued after Amroth. He reached up to Leafa and placed his hands on her waist.

"Please."

She leaned and let herself fall into his arms, and he stood her on the grass. He went down on one knee. Their eyes locked.

"Marry me, Leafa."