View Single Post
Old 07-22-2000, 06:48 AM   #20
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Which books are canon?

I think that personally I would most like to see a Silmarillion w/ staight forward chapters as per the current volume.but with all storline [such as wanderings of hurin] added to whatever degree possible . with the occasional[ ?] footnote relating&quot;other histories have told&quot; ... or &quot;according to the oldest traditions&quot;. It seems JrrT used a bit of this[as in Aragorns saying of the tale of beren and luthien-that no one knows the true ending except perhaps elrond.
and maybe an appendices w/ non - story type history and commentary like &quot;quendi and eldar &quot; from vol xi.
different levels of canon as you suggest belong more properly I believe to a living religion [esp. Christianity- where such matters in fact pertain to the orientation and salvation of the soul and spirit] instead of a sub-creation.
But someone at the white council
{m.martinez ?} said something similar recently. that there could be a couple of different types of canon. to my [admittedly limited } mind one would be plenty.
lindil

one more thing- perhaps as an experiment we can start a thread on 1 story of the silm. and see where it goes?
lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote