Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #281
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
The movie spends a lot of screen time building up the WK as an overwhelmingly powerful supernatural force & then prceeds to have him 'killed' by a couple of people with normal weapons. It simply doesn't make sense. Why the build up if he can be brought down by an unexpected blow & killed by any woman who just happens to be on the field?

... If you introduce a supremely, supernaturally, powerful foe you have to account for his destruction in a believable & convincing way.
Which is why I consider this an inconsistency on PJ's part.

However, again assume non-reading viewer - how was the mightly Sauron brought down? A seemingly normal blade, broken at that, cut his ringed finger off. Seemingly the sword could have dismembered him too, given the chance (I have visions of Sauron ala the armless, legless knight of Grail fame ). His underling, WK, could be dealt a similar blow as he had a ring too.

And in regards to the flight/fight comment, I hide behind the fact that the WK was undead, meaning that obviously knee stabs and dog bites would freeze him. Note that one of the Nazgul does not attack the hobbit with the dogs (though the dogs cowered, it was just to set up a sneak attack). And Farmer Maggot is the example from the books.

If only the Rohirrim had ridden dogs...big dogs...with lasers...
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote