Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #297
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
That didn't strike me as funny at all-- because horses do that. I can't be the only person who's had affectionate horse slobber on my face, or grass-stains on my shirt.

When two horses meet, they sniff noses, and then if they are friends, they each dig their chin into the other horse's crest (arch of the neck.) Watch two horses greet in a field, you'll see it. And if you walk up to a horse and sniff, his eyes will light up, and he will put his nose up to yours with great, deep snufflings. You have just spoken his language. If he likes you, he will try to dig his chin into your shoulder (or sometimes the top of your head-- ouch.)

Be cautious, because if he decides he doesn't like you, he may strike at you.

Aragorn, in the barn at Edoras, was speaking in both a tone ('horse-whispering', if you like) and a language (elvish) that Brego understood. And, he brought his face close to Brego's as he spoke it; good equine body-language. You could see Brego respond. I thought this was brilliant script-writing, because it was a blend of Tolkien's elf-to-horse communication-- that readers understand-- and 'horse-whispering', that horsemasters understand. Blend them together, and the most obvious thing for Brego to do when he finds Aragorn is nuzzle and sniff noses.

It's a pity that horse-greetings aren't more widely understood. That moment was, to me, anything but cheap humor; it was a tribute to Aragorn's bond with Brego, and Brego's friendly and trusting response.

Thanks for the horse sense, Helen.

I didn't laugh at the language of horses--which I do understand (my brother used to keep four horses on his acreage). It was the juxtaposition of Aragorn's dream of Arwen with his horse. It made me think of that line, "If dreams were horses ...". Or is it wishes?

I quite agree that it is nice Aragorn had someone to bond with.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-11-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: misplaced quotation
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote