Thread: Valarin Names
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Valarin Names

So I am obsessed with the Valar, and I've thought a lot about them and their structure and systems etc. One of the most interesting things to me is their language, the Valarin, of which we only know a small portion (given in Quendi and the Eldar). I have thought about the canon names for them, as well as those whose names are not given. Here is my list of the Valarin names for all of the Valar, and my reasoning behind each. Obviously, this is all shaky ground canonically, but it's a fun exercise.

The Names Given

1. Manwė = Mānawenūz
2. Ulmo = Ul(l)ubōz
3. Aulė = Aʒūlēz
4. Oromė = Arǭmēz
5. Tulkas = Tulukhastāz

Names Known to Derive from the Valarin, and the Extrapolated Forms

As a general rule, all the names of the Valar (including the general word for them) end in a stressed vowel followed by a final z. This is asserted by many to mean that this is a nominal suffix, which, if not universal, is certainly something used by the Valar for their names, perhaps due to its relation to the words māχanāz 'One of the Aratar; One with Authority' and ayanūz 'One of the Holy Ones.'

6. Irmo = Ir(r)ubōz (because of its identical form phonologically to Ulmo. PQ root √IR, just like √UL)

7. Nįmo = Nāχamōz (from māχan, “authority”, which is clearly related. Possible evolution of *Nāchamō > *Nāhamō > Nāhmo > Nįmo)

8. Melkor = Mbelekhōrūz (from PQ *mbelekōro)

9. Varda = In PQ there exist the roots √BARAD, √BARAT both meaning ‘lofty, high’ which are said to be translations of Varda, along with ‘Sublime.’ From which PQ: Baradā. We have in Valarin mirubhōzē > miruvórė, so bh > v at least sometimes: perhaps V: Bharadāz?

10. Nessa = (although the loremasters posit that it might be from √NER, meaning 'she that has manlike valor or strength', I find this doubtful, since Nessa is not associated with this quality in any way. In addition, it is similar in structure to Ossė, which is said to be Valarin: Oš(o)šai.) Because of Ossė, maybe Ngeš(e)šai? Or Ngeš(e)šāz to match the other Valar?

11. Estė = (the root √SED is given, meaning ‘rest, repose’ from which CE *esdē > *ezdē. This suggests that the sound was morphing away from ‘s’ to ‘z’, before going back to ‘s’ in Q, and continuing to ‘dh’ in Sindarin.) Perhaps Ežedēz, or Ešedēz?

Unknown if They Derive from the Valarin

While the remaining four are not confirmed by Pengolodh to be originating from the Valarin, if this list is to be complete, I would like to assume that they are in order to create a complete list of words. Going from there, here are the remainder.

12. Niėnna = We are told that this name comes from the root √NEY meaning ‘tear’. If we assume this is derived from the V, then we could extrapolate an y > i change, like Vairė, and a medial e in the name after the initial n, so that there in no ń involved. The –nna ending is identical to Yavanna, and of unknown meaning, but in Yavanna’s case it comes from anna which is ‘gift.’ In the Lost Tales, Niėnna is the giver of tears, so this meaning would be appropriate. Even in the later conception, this fits (cf. Gandalf’s “not all tears are an evil.” He is said to be a Maia of Niėnna in the Valaquenta.) The word anna for ‘gift’ is used in the name for Nśmenor: Andórė ‘the land of gift.’ This is a gift from the Valar, and special, so I think it is a reasonable assumption to think this word comes from the V. From all of this we can extrapolate: ?Neyannāz, or ?Neyennāz.

13. Vįna = This name is said to derive from the same root as Vanyar (√WAN) meaning “fair” so either Oromė told the Elves about his wife and said she was exceedingly beautiful and her name was “___” and they made the root, or they named her after they saw her and knew the elvish for her. It is elsewhere said to derive from the root √BAN, or √VAN meaning ‘beautiful because of lack of blemish, unblemished.’ Assuming that these roots are related, and that the sense of ‘unblemished’ is different enough from ‘fair’ that the roots are distinct, and the derivation of Vįna is therefore obscured, we can stick with √VAN or √BAN as an older root, since √BAN is said to be related to √MAN, which we know to be from the V. PQ did not have sounds in v, so the V in her name could be an original artifact restored after the arrival of the Elves in Aman where they met her, or at least a Bh. PQ *banya is glossed as ‘beautiful’ and is the root of the later words. Using this information, plus the į in Quenya (usually coming from an ā in PQ and V) we can extrapolate ?Vānāz, ?Bhānāz, ?Vāńāz, or ?Bhāńāz.

14. Vairė = This name is said to be related to the root √WIR ‘weave, thread together.’ The PQ form of the name is derived to be Wairē, Weirē. Knowing that Elvish has the tendency to soften the harsh consonants of Valarin, a y > i mutation is likely (as in ayanūz > ainu). Thus we could have ?Wayar(r)ēz.

15. Yavanna = This name is old. The word yįvė for ‘fruit’ seems to come from it, rather than the other way around. This makes me think that it comes from the Valarin. The V name for Telperion is Ibrīnišilpathānezel. Earlier in the V list of words we are given inišil ‘large single flower’ and ezel ‘green’. Thus it appears to be Ibri-inišil-pathān-ezel. This gives a possible reading of pathān as ‘leaf.’ This element is similar to Yavanna in structure, with the ‘p’ and ‘th’ sound differing from ‘y’ and ‘v’. A risky association, since it isn’t based on much, but if the word for ‘leaf’ is pathān, might the word for ‘fruit’ be similar? In addition, the word for fruit is said to come from the root √YAB, of which almost all the derivatives are compounds with Yavanna’s name, including the months and times of harvest. Even in the Sindarin, the association of Yavanna with the month is intrinsic, and not related solely to fruit. Therefore it seems that the word for fruit comes from Yavanna, and thus likely from the V. Using pathān as a guide, it is likely yābhan. Perhaps we have ?Yābhannāz.

Feel free to leave any thoughts or comments. If my derivations seem off please let me know!

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 01-10-2018 at 12:48 AM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote