View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 04:57 AM   #141
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Wyrma paced the floor of her room restlessly, feeling like a caged lioness. She had been sitting for too many hours, busy with parchments and messages, when Tinar came to tell her that the Gondorians had not only heard rumours of Shapechangers, but were searching for them.

Were these sailors spies, disguised as merchants? And what did the Great Kingdom of the North intend to do with Maenwaith if they found them? Uncertainty always made her feel uneasy; she hated waiting for others to act and much preferred taking the first step herself.

But we are planning a step against them, she reminded herself. They shall be thrown into confusion when… Her thoughts wandered to the results of her planning, and a corner of her mouth lifted in a tiny, triumphant smile.

Now, if she could only leave the palace complex for a brisk walk, she would feel better. However, in a city of cutthroats and robbers such as this, that was only possible with guards to protect her. And a walk with guards would not make her feel less caged. If only she could spread her wings and fly, away from this squalid city with its dark passageways. Yet that too was not possible – she had instructed those of her people who stayed here that they should not transform unless necessary. They could not risk discovery, which would almost inevitably be followed by persecution. They had experienced that many times throughout the decades. That was why they needed a city of their own, where no one would attempt to harass them because they were different, where no one would fear them and they needed to fear no one.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

“Enter!” Tinar called in reply to the knock on his door. Korpúlfr strode into the room – the very person he wanted to see! He could not wait to hear what had happened at the northern ship.

“You missed some interesting hours!” Korpúlfr grinned, continuing with an account of the events. “Now, I know you would have liked to be there,” he finished, “but I can offer you a compensation. I have invited the captain and his mate to dinner this evening, and they accepted. Would you like to come?”

Tinar accepted eagerly, knowing that his mother would have no objection to a possibility for finding out more about these men.

“But tell me, what did your mother say about the news I told you?” Kor asked.

His companion shrugged. “Not much – you know that she thinks before she speaks. But I think it startled her. I do not know what she plans to do, but I am sure she will take care to prevent our people’s discovery. We must be cautious this evening, and not give ourselves away.”

“I must go now,” Kor said, turning to the door, “there is much to prepare.”

“I shall be there punctually,” Tinar promised.