View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #192
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Dorran:

Dorran had intended to ride hard and join up with Aiwendil before the group managed to cross the plain. To his disappointment, the sharp pain in his side made it difficult to go any faster than a rambling walk. He inched slowly westward, stopping just once to collect two horses quietly grazing on a patch of nettles and chicory that had grown up beside a small grey pool. One was his own mount "Orc Slayer", whom he was heartily relieved to see, while the other had belonged to the second dead slaver. He glimpsed three mares still running free on the plain. A half mile further and he could make out the outline of the grassy knoll where they had agreed to meet.

Though still trying to mask his pain, Dorran felt bone weary; every breath came with difficulty and was accompanied by a racking pain in his side. Wading through to the other side of the scrub brush, he awkwardly slid off Shae's horse and handed the three pair of reins to Aiwendil. He gave the older man a hint of a smile and briefly described what had happened to him and his pursuers. Coming to the end of the story, he added, "I was rescued by Shae who's one of the slaves. You'll be hard pressed to find a braver woman. If they are all like that, our job will be easy. She insisted on staying with Lindir to fight, but lent me her horse, I'd be grateful if you could give him a rub down and let him feed as I need to get off my feet for a while. And, yes, one other encouraging piece of news. In addition to these two, I saw several others on the loose. You and Rôg did a better job than you know. We have them running in circles all night. They may send out a small band to follow us, but they'll have to wait for morning to get the rest of their mounts back. For tonight, at least, I don't see how they could attack as a group."

"Good new indeed!" responded Aiwendil. Then, the two spoke quietly for some time until the wizard urged Dorran to go and have his side and gash attended. "I'm fine. It can wait," the young man insisted. "Others are hurting worse than I. That's why I waited. I wanted to let Athwen do her work. But I'll go now and say a word to my wife so she shouldn't be worrying where I am."

Continuing to the far side of the knoll, he could see Athwen speaking to a young girl, while Rôg waited patiently in the background. With some difficulty Dorran lowered his body and sat cross legged on the ground. He would wait quietly here until his wife finished with her other patients.

Last edited by Tevildo; 09-19-2006 at 10:51 AM.