View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
43 years ago (almost 44, actually), when I was all of 11 and one of my brothers about 13, he started to spend all his time during Sunday Mass with his nose buried in what appeared to be a prayer book. One week, I found out that he was putting a fancy embossed plastic cover on other books, and closer inspection showed that he was reading LotR. Being the curious kind of kid I was, I wondered what he found so fascinating about it, since I had never heard of it, so I sat down and read it myself. I tried reading The Hobbit next, but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't manage to get through TH until I was 24 (when that same brother gave me one of the leather-bound editions for Christmas), but I've read LotR at least once a year ever since that first time. It's one of the few things that brother and I have in common, a love of Tolkien's works.