View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A good chapter. To everything I do not comment I agree.

RE-SL-07 to RE-SL-10: I think the main part of these adition has to come later. It is told that: the messengers of Cirion ‘ would have to go through Calenardhon and over the Undeeps, AND THEN through lands already watched and patrolled by the Balchoth’ (emphasis added). This means Calenardhon and the Undeeps were still under the control of Gondor when the messengers were send. Therefore I would edit the text here thus:
Quote:
… so far as could be guessed.
RE-SL-07b<Appendix A In the two thousand five hundred and tenth year of the Third Age a RE-SL-08b{new peril threatened Gondor. A great host of wild men from the North-east swept over Rhovanion and coming down out of the Brown-lands crossed the Anduin on rafts. At the same time by chance or design the Orcs (who at that time before their war with the Dwarves were in great strength) made a descent from the Mountains. The invaders overran Calenardhon, and}RE-SL-09b Cirion{, Steward of Gondor,} sent north for help; for there had been long friendship between the Men of Anduin's Vale and the people of Gondor. But in the valley of the River men were now few and scattered, and slow to render such aid as they could.>
In this peril Cirion's thought turned at last in desperation to the Éothéod, …
And later I would change RE-SL-10 to read:
Quote:
… It was the morning of the fifteenth day of Víressë, and they had come there at a speed beyond hope.[Footnote tot the text: In nine days they had covered more than five hundred miles in a direct line, probably more than six hundred as they rode. Though there were no great natural obstacles on the east side of Anduin, much of the land was now desolate, and roads or horse-paths running southward were lost or little used; only for short periods were they able to ride at speed, and they needed also to husband their own strength and their horses’, since they expected battle as soon as they reached the Undeeps.]>
RE-SL-10b<Appendix A A great host of wild men from the North-east had swept over Rhovanion and coming down out of the Brown-lands crossed the Anduin on rafts. At the same time by chance or design the Orcs (who at that time before their war with the Dwarves were in great strength) made a descent from the Mountains. The invaders overran CalenardhonRE-SL-10.2{, and Cirion, Steward of Gondor, sent north for help; for there had been long friendship between the Men of Anduin's Vale and the people of Gondor. But in the valley of the River men were now few and scattered, and slow to render such aid as they could. At last tidings came to Eorl of the need of Gondor, and late though it seemed, he set out with a great host of riders}.
Thus {he}Eorl came to the battle of the Field of Celebrant, for that was the name of the green land that lay between Silverlode and Limlight. …
RE-SL-13: Even so it is a repetition; I think we should include the first sentence of the footnote as a reminder.

RE-SL-20: You miss ‘in his time’, which must be changed:
Quote:
RE-SL-20<Dwarves and Men With regard to Middle Men {Faramir}the Men of Gondor spoke mainly of the Rohirrim, the only people of this sort well-known in Gondor {in his}at that time, and attributed to them actual direct descent from the Folk of Hador in the First Age. This was a general belief in Gondor{ at that time},{(61)} and was held to explain (to the comfort of Númenórean pride) the surrender of so large a part of the Kingdom to the people of Eorl.>
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote