View Single Post
Old 12-07-2002, 09:07 PM   #89
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Giles was not happy with having one of his legs tied to one of Autumn's so they wouldn't get lost. No, not happy at all.

Autumn stood as tall as her shortness permitted, hands on hips. "Look here, Giles. No dog, wolf, warg, not even a dragon, will see us nor smell us in this mess of snow!"

The whiteout from the snow was so bad that the trees at the side of the road vanished into dazzling blindness. Only a white void hemmed you in, in every direction. A shivering wind brought clumps of snow from unseen overhanging branches crashing down on top of their hooded heads.

Giles nodded glumly, frowning. He'd tied them together, but secretly fingered the hilt of a knife in his pocket. At the first sign of an enemy, that rope was getting cut. No matter what.

When they stopped to rest around a sputtering fire and meal of pan-fried bread and water, Giles untied the rope with fingers red and raw from the cold. He'd had quite enough togetherness, thank you very much. Though not a creature was in sight, he feared getting tangled up defenseless in a ropeful of snapping warg jowls. "The wind is less now, Autumn. And I'm too much of a gentle-hobbit to run away and abandon you if wolves come. If I need to fight, I need to be able to move freely."

At last they bumped into a mailbox. Giles walked into the pole, causing the snow to fall away from the top and sides of the mailbox. The pole underneath remained buried in its forlorn snowdrift. His hands throbbing like icicles about to break off, Giles used his cloak to brush away snow from the nameplate. "Sandheaver. Hmph, they should change their name to Snowheaver in this weather! But Autumn, we've reached Whitfurrows! My cousins live two holes away!" Giles flung his arms up in the air and did a few dance steps until he slipped on a patch of ice.

"Should I throw you a rope?" smiled Autumn.

"Yes. You should," smiled Giles.

Autumn tossed him the end of the rope. Giles grabbed it, and pulled Autumn down into the snow. Both Hobbits laughed.

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]