View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #32
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Track 7: A Knife in the Dark

Once more, we begin with the Mordor theme: brass and a big timpani roll. You know what I was thinking is interesting about the timpani? It's one of those instruments that is felt rather than heard, much like a bass guitar in a rock band. Unless you're listening closely you don't even think about it, but it just gives the music this great sense of depth.

After a cool gong ring, the strings kick in, sounding rather frantic as the hobbits await that terrible something that they know is coming for them.

Oh, how Howard Shore loves his descending thirds and string glissandos/tremolos.

Something I never noticed before: as the descending thirds continue, there are strings playing sixteenth notes softly beneath them, adding to the tension without it actually registering in your mind. Then arrives the choir, singing more or less the same words as in the past two tracks, only this time it is much more soft and whispery. They sound almost persuasive at first. This reminded me of a passage from the book, in the chapter of the same title:

Quote:
He [Frodo] was quaking as if he was bitter cold, but his terror was swallowed up in a sudden temptation to put on the Ring. The desire to do this laid hold of him, and he could think of nothing else.
The Ringwraiths of course wanted him to do this so they could get at him. Now, in the movie, this soft singing occurs while they are surrounding the hobbits, so it is in different context. Still, the choice of dynamics is interesting.

The choir swells, and then fades. Quickly, it switches to the Isengard theme, which I must say is one of my favorite parts. You can headbang to it... go on, try it out. I can't see you.

Then this too fades as we come to Gandalf upon the top of Orthanc while he does his little moth trick. I wish I knew what the male soloist was singing; unfortunately Gwaith i Phethdain doesn't have these lyrics listed, and arwen-undomiel.com's daily bandwidth has been exceeded. *sigh* A Google search has not been of aid... as soon as the site is back up I will check to see if the lyrics are listed there.

A trumpet accompanies the vocalist, which I am beginning to think is a representation of Gandalf. When he was riding to Orthanc and the Fellowship theme was playing, the instrument was a trumpet. Just an idea for now; we'll see if it is supported in later tracks.

It then slips back into the Isengard theme, with some lovely jangling chains creating a very industrial feel. Around 3:15 it changes completely for the remaining seconds of the track, which I believe is for the hobbits and Aragorn in the woods. It will provide a nice transition to Track 8, when Arwen appears.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote