View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #14
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I found an addition to BL-EX-11.8. reading a bit before the passage we used is also some retrospectiv info that we might use. But to make it fit the place were we will put it we have change the arangement a bit:
Quote:
Thereafter Beren was named Erchamion, which is the One-handed; and suffering was graven in his face. But at last he was drawn back to life by the love of Lúthien, and he arose, and together they walked in the woods once more. And they did not hasten from that place, for it seemed fair to them. Lúthien indeed was willing to wander in the wild without returning, forgetting house and people and all the glory of the Elf-kingdoms, and for a time Beren was content; but he could not for long forget his oath to return to Menegroth, nor would he withhold Lúthien from Thingol for ever. For he held by the law of Men, deeming it perilous to set at naught the will of the father, save at the last need; and it seemed also to him unfit that one so royal and fair as Lúthien should live always in the woods, as the rude hunters among Men, without home or honour or the fair things which are the delight of the queens of the Eldalië. BL-EX-11.7 <LT At last came there{ nevertheless} a day whereon waking out of a deep slumber Beren started up as one who leaves a dream of happy things coming suddenly to his mind, and he said: ‘Farewell, O Huan, most trusty comrade, and thou, little Tinúviel, whom I love, fare thee well. This only I beg of thee, get thee now straight to the safety of thy home, and may good Huan lead thee. But I - lo, I must away into the solitude of the woods, for I have lost that Silmaril which I had, and never dare I draw near to {Angamandi}[Angband] more, wherefore neither will I enter the halls of {Tinwelint}[Thingol].’ Then he wept to himself, but Tinúviel who was nigh and had hearkened to his musing came beside him and said: ‘Nay, now is my heart changed,’ and if thou dwellest in the woods, O Beren {Ermabwed}[Erchamion], then so will I, and if thou wilt wander in the wild places there will I wander also, or with thee or after thee: - yet never shall my father see me again save only if thou takest me to him.’ Then indeed was Beren glad at her sweet words, and fain would he have dwelt with her as a huntsman of the wild, but his heart smote him for all that she had suffered for him, and for her he put away his pride. Indeed she reasoned with him, saying it would be folly to be stubborn, and that her father would greet them with nought but joy, being glad to see his daughter yet alive - and ‘maybe,’ said she, ‘he will have shame that his jesting has given thy fair hand to the jaws of {Karkaras}[Carcharoth].’ But Huan also she implored to return with them a space, for ‘my father owes thee a very great reward, O Huan,’ saith she, ‘an he loves his daughter at all.’> Therefore {after a while he persuaded her, and }their footsteps forsook the houseless lands; and he passed into Doriath, leading Lúthien home. So their doom willed it. BL-EX-11.8 <Ros {But it}It was told in the legend of Beren and Lúthien that Lúthien learned Beren's native tongue during their long journeys together and ever after used it in their speech together. <Ros The Folk of Bëor continued to speak their own tongue among themselves with fair purity, though many Sindarin words were borrowed and adapted by them [footnote: Not necessarily confined to names of things that had not before {[}been{]} known. In the nomenclature of later generations assimilation to the Eldarin modes, and the use of some elements frequent in Eldarin names, can be observed.] This was of course the native tongue of Beren, lineal descendant of Bëor the Old. He spoke Sindarin after a fashion (probably derived from North Sindarin); but his halting and dialectal use of it offended the ears of Thingol. [Footnote: {He [}Thingol{]} had small love for the Northern Sindar who had in regions near Angband come under the dominion of Morgoth, and were accused of sometimes entering his service and providing him with spies. The Sindarin used by the Sons of Fëanor also was the northern dialect; and they were hated in Doriath.]> Not long before {they}Beren and Lúthien came at last back to the borders of Doriath he asked her why she did {so}use his tongue, since her own tongue was richer and more beautiful. Then she became silent and her eyes seemed to look far away before she answered: 'Why? Because I must forsake thee, or else forsake my own people and become one of the children of Men. Since I will never forsake thee, I must learn the speech of thy kin, and mine.'>
Here after follwos chapter 25 there fore I did not give any more in the quote.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote