View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #31
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
From the August 1965 note: 'She called her son Gil-galad' -- so here Rodnor appears to get a 'Mother-name' Gil-galad, although the name is not interpreted.

However in the Shibboleth of Feanor proper (written on publication notes dated 1968) Gil-galad is stated to be an epesse rather, meaning 'Star of Radiance', and was given to him because his helm and mail shone from afar (and etc. p. 347-348). I don't recall any reason within the Shibboleth to think that Gil-galad was a nickname and a Mother-name. It appears to be just an epesse there.
Yes, I mean an epesse, but It could be named by his mother. But it is not important who names him. The important thing I wanted to mark is when we name him Gil-galad, with the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
The difference between "Star-of-Radiance" and "Starlight" is small in my oppinion. Therefore I called the distinction artefical in my earlier post.

Since we seem to have settle now on Gil-galad as an eppesse, I suggest we take up the not proposed ealier about Ereinion called Gil-galad later.
Findegil
I'm ok with the two things.

So I propose keep "Ereinion called Gil-galad later" in this chapter.
And state in the last chapter ( when he is High King after Turgon's death and he is supposedly not yet a child, but young for an elf, and can dress for war) that he was called Gil-galad because of his mail and helm...etc. Named by his mother or not.

What do you think?

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote