View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Aragorn II and the Ruling Stewards

You made some interesting remarks here, Kuruharan:

Practically, of course, it would have been ridiculous for Aragorn to try to undo Rohan's sovereignty.

However, I still hold my original opinion that Aragorn, as legal matter, could have revoked the Oath because of the clause of the Great King returning.

Cirion was only a servant, exercising power explicitly because of the absence of his master.

Tolkien was quite explicit that the Ruling Stewards, from Mardil the Faithful to Faramir, were as regents able to exercise all royal powers. Cirion's grant of Calenhardon to Eorl and his people was a lawful use of these powers, even if it was an extraordinary one. Certainly, it appears that no one said, then and later, that he was acting outside his powers.

I'm presuming that Aragorn II, after his crowning as King Elessar, made his first legal act as king a retrospective confirmation of everything done by the previous Ruling Stewards.

If he had done this, the public renewal of the of Oath of Eorl wouldn't have been strictly necessary; but I'm presuming that it was done because of the great symbolic significance of the grant of Calenhardon, the most significant and sweeping act of the Ruling Stewards, and a ceremonial confirmation of the 'old alliance' between Rohan and Gondor, which had just saved the latter.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote