View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #32
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

RE: ARRIVAL OF DRAGON

Rose has a good point about the "mystery" of Angara. I don't think she should "belong" to anyone (even though she crawled out of Mith's sack at the birthday party). Indeed, I don't think she should even have come on anyone's travels. Nor should we have an Elf or Valar or someone else give her to us.

Angara is one of the very unique things about our story (canon or not!), and she deserves an entrance that is in keeping with her personality!

She is very much her own creature. She is kind of like a cat. She doesn't live with us--she lets us live with her! I honestly don't think even Idril or Tuor know a great deal about her and her background.

Tolkien never writes about the "good" dragons, the uncorrupted ones, so it must be a very secret thing. (kind of like free shapechangers)

You see, I am quite sure, we didn't choose her, or bring her along. She chose us.

I wonder what it would be like to be on a small sailing ship bobbing along in the water, and see a dragon soaring overhead. Quite upsetting! I think Child and the other hobbits would have been alarmed. Perhaps even Mithadan and Bird? Maybe it's only Pio who's been alive long enough to recognize her for what she is--an uncorrupted creature--and stop the rest of us from taking pot shots at her. (Not that we didn't try, and not that we would ever succeed in bringing her down.)

I'd love to see Angara alight on the deck and explain to us why she is "taking charge" of this pitiful expedition as she has pity on us poor unfortunates who obviously have so few talents or skills!!

And, boy, she'll never let us live down those pot shots that Mith and Child and Rose took at her! I can well imagine Angara having arguments with Child over this lack of respect.

Mith was worried about the lack of tension in the early plot. Perhaps, Angara should come quite early. This might make for some physical action and suspense and would also help draw the crew together. Nothing like going to battle to build a little camraderie, even if we've managed to pick the wrong target!

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]