View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Yeade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yeade Send a message via Skype™ to Yeade
I wasn't sure where to post, and I thought all the genealogy stuff would warrant a new thread. Sorry if this was a breach of forum etiquette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
All Vanyar, Noldor, and some Teleri that went to the Undying Lands in the days of the Two Trees were Calaquendi. The Teleri that didn't go to the Undying Lands are further broken down into Sindar, Nandor, and Laiquendi.
So, Calaquendi is more a title than a... family grouping? In that the Calaquendi Elves all belong to another group in addition, one that probably has more impact on, say, physical characteristics or social mannerisms.

With Celeborn being Sindar and Galadriel Noldor, how exactly did the two of them end up Lord and Lady of Lothlórien? Is that even allowed? I can't remember if there was anything on this in The Silmarillion. I kept confusing myself and thinking there's some connection between the Lórien Elves and Celeborn's relations because of similarities in the names: the Lórien Elves are also called the Galadhrim, and Celeborn married Galadriel, with Galadhon as father, Galathil as brother. Only then there's also Gil-galad. Now I see this is just an Elvish naming streak. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Yeade is offline   Reply With Quote