View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Yeade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yeade Send a message via Skype™ to Yeade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Nothing to worry about, Yeade, no forum etiquette has been harmed in the making of this thread!
Whew, that's good to know. Thank you.

I updated the family tree with a few more names and as many dates as I could look up. Naturally, this created more... issues.

Most of the new names belong to the Houses of Bëor, Haleth, and Hador. And unfortunately--in the House of Bëor particularly--I have no way of determining the gender of all these people. I mean, it just doesn't seem likely that everyone has as many sons as Fëanor, give or take a couple! In those sections--also notable is the lineage of Hallacar, husband of Númenórean Queen Tar-Ancalimë--I, er, arbitrarily marked people as women. Any hints here would be very helpful.

I did the best I could with the dates, but there are a lot of uncertainties and a lot of holes. The higher up in the tree, the less confident I am about the dates. While editing the chart, I mentally checked a few points to ask about later, but I can only remember one... Drat. At any rate, I can throw out my one question. Amrod and Amras, the twins of Fëanor, were both lost in the assault on the Mouths of Sirion, right? When exactly was that?

Oh, and on the notation, most of the abbreviations and such used are pretty standard, I think. The various royals have two bracketed numbers. The first, in italics, is the number of years ruling; the second is the date his or her reign ended, usually also the date of death. Herucalmo in the Númenórean line and Castamir of Gondor have dates in parentheses as both are essentially usurpers of their respective thrones. Aragorn's dates aren't formatted with italics yet because [whine] it was 3 AM, I was tired, I didn't notice the error until I'd already uploaded the damn 4+ MB thing, and I just couldn't be bothered to fix the numbers, then wait another five or something minutes to upload the file again! [/whine] I've already added the italics, but will wait and see if there are other corrections to be made before uploading the new version.

So, any takers? There must be mistakes, I know it... And, as always, I'm open to suggestions for improvements. For one, should I mark birth dates during the Age of the Trees? I didn't--it seemed more excessive than I'm willing to let this already excessive project get--but if it helps...

Last edited by Yeade; 09-02-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Yeade is offline   Reply With Quote