View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Yeade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yeade Send a message via Skype™ to Yeade
Whew! The family tree's been updated with the information in the thread Maédhros was kind enough to point out for me and divided into three roughly equal sections for the site. I've also added the birth dates of Elendil and all his kingly descendants, corrected Aragorn's dates so that he's not living in the Second Age, put the Lords of Andúnië in order, and fixed the omission of dates for Elrond's children and Gilraen. I'd somehow missed those mistakes the last three or something times I corrected the tree; apparently my brain melts into gray mush halfway down the chart...

At any rate, in the course of all these corrections, I felt perhaps I'd given everyone the wrong impression of my access to and knowledge of Tolkien's works. I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in 3rd grade... and just recently read the latter a second time. I read The Silmarillion sometime in middle school--once--and never read it again (though I plan to do so over the summer). Until I came to these boards, I'd never even heard of The History of Middle-Earth! The family tree was mainly put together by clicking through all the relevant links at The Encyclopedia of Arda and The Encyclopedia of Middle-earth. Thus, in the first version, I didn't have any dates--I just didn't know many--the Three Houses of the Edain grew and grew, and there were many mistakes in the genealogies of the Eldar.

I've been persistently annoying people here because I know the online resources aren't complete (or even accurate in some cases), but I'm too broke to buy the books I need and don't have access to through libraries. I don't have the knowledge to spot errors.

So, Maédhros, when you suggested I brush up on "The Shibboleth of Fëanor," I had no idea what you were talking about. I figured I'd attempt to find it myself before I pestered you, and eventually I realized it was in HOME. I browsed the two libraries I had easy access to and came up with HOME Volumes IX, XI, and XII. Thankfully, "The Shibboleth" is in HOME 12, along with the handy "The Heirs of Elendil," which I cross-referenced with what I had and took all those neat birth dates for this latest version from. I'm still perusing "The Shibboleth," but expect there'll be more corrections. I hope also to read "The History of the Akallabêth," then clear up, once and for all, the Three Houses of the Edain from the information in HOME 11. Hell, I think I'm probably going to end up reading the index.

The other volumes of HOME aren't readily available to me... Could anyone tell me what other volumes would be useful? So I have a clue as to which ones I should track down? If it's not too much trouble? Or any other material I should reference, really. For one, I should probably read The Akallabêth and check the Númenórean line, but I'm not entirely sure where that is... Is there truly nothing on the royal lines of Cardolan and Rhudaur? I would be thankful for any pointers.

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Yeade is offline   Reply With Quote