View Single Post
Old 07-12-2001, 07:08 AM   #59
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Comments on Comments

FG-C01 (FG): B!

Jallanite: Still, my policy will be extreme in the first draft,
eliminating as much as possible of any suggestions of
multitudes

lindil: ok - it is def. a point to revisited.I now see that you are right in supposing that 7 is not workable [w/ the references in the battles of beleriand and what remained in the QS30 .

FG-C02 lindil: yea

FG-C03 - 4 lindil: yea

FG-C05 (FG): There is no mention in any text later
than FG ...
lindil: I find the uttering and remembering of the prophecy chilling, it shows how deep pride and blindness can go [as if Ulmo'es warning were not enough. Just because it does not show up later I see no reason to drop it. Does it conflict?

FG-C06 (FG): Rewording:

Quote:

Gling[a]l was {withered} melted to the
stock and B[elthi]l was blackened utterly,
and the king's tower was beset.
lindil: how about destroyed or burnt to the stock . Melted to the stock seems awkward. but agreed in obvious need to emmend.

FG-C07 (FG, Q30):
lindil: yea
FG-C08 (FG): D!

Quote:

Fire-drakes are about it and monsters {of
iron} fare in and out of its gates, and great
is the sack of the Balrogs and Or[k]s.
lindil: retaining monsters is a little odd,JRRT does not use it at all to my recollection as a collective name for evil creatures in the later writings I would go w/ ' an evil horde' or 'trolls and orcs fare in ...'

FG-C09 lindil: I agree w/ Aiwendil that the whole way of escape issue will prob need a poll/vote.

FG-C10 (FG, Q30): Rewording:
aiwendil:C10: Ah. Looks good, I just wasn't sure at first what the idea
was.
lindil : I am still not sure what did not work in the original.

FG-C11 (FG, Q30):
lindil : yea

FG-C12 (FG, Q30): lindil: yea

FG-C13 see above

FG-C14 (FG):. Omit here: lindil yea , work in earlier as per suggestion

FG-C15 (FG, Q30): Rewording:

lindil: yea

FG-C16 (FG, Q30): lindil:yea

FG-C17 (FG):lindil: yea

FG-C18 I favor altering as necessary to keep the arrival in spring as it seems important as a healing time of year after a long wandering.

FG-C19 (FG): see above

FG-C20 (FG): lindil : yea
FG-C21 (FG, Q30): lindil : yea
FG-C22 (FG, Q30): lindil : yea

FG-C23 (FG, Q30): lindil : yea

FG-C24 (Q30):lindil : yea
FG-C26 (FG, Q30): Rewording:

Quote:

The voice of Ulmo's conches drew the heart
of Tuor{,} that his sea-longing returned
with a thirst the deeper for years of
stifling{;}, &lt;in his heart and in his son's.
Wherefore {all that host} &lt;the most part
of the people&gt; arose at his bidding, and
{got them} &lt;they removed&gt; down Sirion to
the Sea.
lindil : can we not keep 'all that host'? I would favor 'journeyed' instead of 'removed'

FG-C27 (FG, Q30): lindil: I need to look at this one more

FG-C28 (FG): Omission of anachronistic listing of cities
as could not exist as part of the original tale, except as
a very late marginal note:

true - but if we are dealing w/ much material that came from Aelfwine via Pegolodh and Rumil via eressea and JRRT never seemed to abandon the idea then there is room for eriol's comments as part of what has come to us.
although I think JRRT would have dropped it as he seemed to drop nearly all references to to later historical ages , once he was past the 'kids fairy-tale' phase of the Hobbit and early FotR. Amazons [for the female haladin warriors] in the Tale of the Druedain [UT] is an exception that comes to mind.

FG-C29 (FG, Q30, TE*N(i)): I already stated my preference for less Gondolin and more earendil as far as deciding where to put the transitionary material, but this can be put off till the rest of the tale is in order. and then maybe we will have a better sense of where the 'natural ' divisions are.

FG-C30 (PG, SF, QS77):
Quote:

Ereinion Gil-galad son of Orodreth, who had
escaped the fall of Nargothrond and dwelt
now at Sirion's Mouth, was named High
King of the Noldor there.

lindil yea to the above. I would save the later material for the war of the last alliance. as we are never given a scene of Gil-Galad fighting in the first age.I like very much the idea of incorporating the Shibboleth material for the descriptions of the Noldorin prince, just think this one would work better later.
He was styled
Gil-galad, Star of Radiance, because his
helm and mail, and his shield overlaid with
silver and set with a device of white stars,
shone from afar like a star in sunlight or
mooonlight and could be seen by Elvish
eyes at a great distance if he stood upon a
height.

FG-C31 (Q30, AB 2, Elessar, QS77): lindil: I need to read up on this more.

FG-C32 (Q30): In the pleading of Ulmo there are
stylistic differences and certain omissions from the Q30
version to the QS77 version, probably changes made
by Christopher Tolkien himself for aesthetic reasons,
and to be ignored unless someone can find other
sources. Stick to Q30 here.
lindil : I will have to read the section in ques. butin general I am not against CRT's stylistic edit's as they often seem to be of a high-quality.I am concerned when he edit's to omit things like Wandering of Hurin and details of the Narn and. such

as far as I can go now. I apologize if i have not cross-referenced w/ the later comments sufficiently.

<a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000000e Creation of a Revised Silmarillion</a>
Lindil's Tolkien/Christian discussion board<a href="http://pub72.ezboard.com/bosanwe" >Osanwe</a>,
http://pub41.ezboard.com/btarostineruhirTar Ost-in-Eruhir</A>.
'In the begining was the Word. And the Word was with God.And the Word is God'. </p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote