View Single Post
Old 07-12-2001, 08:59 AM   #60
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Comments on Comments

&lt;&lt;lindil: I find the uttering and remembering of the prophecy chilling, it shows how deep pride and blindness can go [as if Ulmo'es warning were not enough. Just because it does not show up later I see no reason to drop it. Does it conflict?&gt;&gt;

I think as we have the exact words of the prophecy in AAm and LQ, we must accept those as the canonical exact words. Anyway, I always found the idea rather silly: why would you name a city Gondolin when the words 'Great is the fall of Gondolin' are etched in your mind?

&lt;&lt;Fire-drakes are about it and monsters {of
iron} fare in and out of its gates, and great
is the sack of the Balrogs and Or[k]s.
lindil: retaining monsters is a little odd,JRRT does not use it at all to my recollection as a collective name for evil creatures in the later writings I would go w/ ' an evil horde' or 'trolls and orcs fare in ...'&gt;&gt;

I don't see a problem with the word 'monsters', per se; actually I rather like it. It could be taken to refer to trolls, orcs, dragons, or whatever. Also, as the meaning here is clearly NOT simply 'orcs' or 'trolls', I don't think it should be replaced with a specific reference.

</p>
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote