View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #331
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I have noticed that this thread has wandered from its original concept of being guilty pleasures to recording the clouds with silverlinings or other bittersweet sting in the tail things of life.
True indeed, although I have no objection to the thread covering any and all of these concepts, since it is still distinct from the Shire and Mordor threads, which are for those things which are either one thing or the other.

And speaking of the bittersweet, I assign giving up smoking (which lends the thread a certain symmetry, as cigarettes were one of the things I mentioned in my original post). It's good for me, it's saving me money and it means that I am no longer an outcast in public places, but I really really miss my cigarettes, even after 9 months, and especially when sitting at the computer and wandering the Downs.

I also assign the snow piling up outside at this very moment, the heaviest that I have seen in this country since my childhood, and quite possibly ever. It's going to cause complete chaos on the roads, railways and airports tomorrow and no doubt will cause many problems for a great many people. But newly fallen, and in the quiet darkness of the night, it is just so damn beautiful.