View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Nicking off Tolkien

Well now, we all know that it's no surprise that any of us use pseudonyms drawn from Middle-earth. After all, what's a Tolkien message board for if we can't reimagine ourselves in Middle-earth, eh?

But what about real life? Why would a person in RL take up a Tolkien nick name? And what would be the relationship between the person and the nick?

For instance, here's one very unusual connection: This Hells Angel organiser of the Bulldog Bash goes by the nickname of [b]Bilbo[/i]. A biker called Bilbo? Perhaps he feels a link between his No. 1 Bike Party in Europe and Mr. Baggins' Birthday Bash? And the thought of hosting such a bash in Shakespeare country! Why, the thought of bikers storming across the Shire in their hogs just sends shivers up my spine. Is this what the famed British Bulldog has become?

And maybe Sharkey's Gang is staging a comeback?

So, how about it. Does anyone else have other examples of strange and bizarre Tolkien nicknames in our 7 th Age?