View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #40
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
K, here it is. I am so sorry it's taken me this long.

NAME: Merra

RACE: Man – half Gondorian, half Easterling

WEAPONS: None.

APPEARANCE: Merra is just about average height, and is a little shorter than her brother. She is skinny, but healthy. She has long black hair, and dark eyes. Her skin is dark, taking after her Easterling father, but her features are clear-cut and delicate, as her Gondorian mother’s would have been.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Because her brother, Penram, grew up mistrusting everyone and attempting to protect Merra at all times and never letting her out of his sight, Merra grew up believing that everyone was against her and she was the most important person in her little world. She quickly found that if she did anything wrong, Penram would take the fall for her. She therefore has a false sense of superiority, and an idea that she deserves whatever comes her way, even if she has to take it. She became a manipulative thief and liar, who played on her brother’s feelings (unbeknownst to her and him). She is a coward and will hide behind her brother at the slightest threat. She loves Penram deeply, however, but whether that is simply because he serves her so loyally, or because she truly, cares for him, is unknown. She is relatively sweet, however, and can be engaging and entertaining. Given a chance, she is soft hearted and kind to anything smaller and weaker than she.

HISTORY: She was born a slave, to a Gondorian slave woman. She does not know who her father is, though she is certain it was an Easterling. She did not know her mother, either, for she died shortly after Merra was born (presumably from complications from the birth). For the first six years of her life, she and her brother lived with another slave family, owned by some Easterling family. They were not mistreated physically beyond a few instances of some random oaths and maybe a few blows, but they were not always fed well enough, and so both got off to a slow start in growing. However, when Merra was six and Penram nine, an Easterling man came and bought the two of them and raised them in his household. They were treated almost like the Easterling’s own children in that he required very little from them, never trained them to do anything productive to earn their keep and never disciplined them in the least, unless it were to threaten them with no dinner for the evening, but that threat, he hardly ever kept.

---------------

Folwren's post - Merra:

The night of the hunt was Merra’s least favorite night out of the entire year. Usually, they stayed home, and the noises of the hunt could not be heard quite so loud, nor so often. Also, at home there were things to do to occupy their attention. Penram stood at the window, looking out. Merra stood beside him, but her back was to the sights of the streets and her arms were crossed over her belly.

Merra had been just on the verge of asking Penram why Mir had brought them here to the barracks when a sound outside the door caught the children’s attention. Merra pushed herself upright and turned towards the noise just before the door was burst open from the outside and a man flung himself inside, directly atop of Mir. Three figures followed him, but Merra’s eyes were on Mir and the stranger, grappling now on the ground. When the stranger wrested the knife by force from Mir’s hand and held it against his throat, Merra sprang forward with an involuntary cry.

Penram had her arm before she had crossed half the floor, and he pulled her forcibly into the far corner. She turned her face towards him, and his body half shielded her from the sight, but she could not keep her eyes from being drawn towards the assailant and their master. Penram’s arms were about her, protecting her physically, as he always did, but he couldn’t stop the trembling.

Mir stopped struggling, once the knife was against his throat, and he and the escaped slave were talking rather familiarly together, Merra thought, but she could not fully understand what they were talking about. None of what the slave said made sense, and Mir’s responses seemed almost as wild. But one thing was clear: Mir was being forced to do something he did not want to do, and the man forcing him was enjoying his job of convincing Mir very much. Whatever was happening was not good. Mir might end up dead, and if he died, no one would be there to protect Penram, and if Penram died…

The stranger finally drew back his knife and his death grip on Mir, and his glance fell on Merra and her brother.

----------

Linked ~*~ Pio

------------------------------------------------------

Okay!!! I am SO sorry it took me forever to get this up. I have finally read everyone's bios and figured out the characters here and have written mine, following as accurately as I may to Dimturiel's and Eorl's posts and bios, both of which reflect on mine.

Although I am posting this up, it is not complete. I still have questions that need answering before it is completed.

Eorl: In your first post, you noted that the children are half Easterling, but have enough Gondorian blood in them to make them look completely Gondorian. I fear I have somewhat twisted that. I noted that in Penram's bio, he looks pretty much Gondorian. I, however, made Merra look very dark, but have the features of a Gondorian. Will that be okay? You may need to edit your first post if you allow me to keep my girl's appearance the way it is. Please let me know.

Everyone: I have written two possibilities to Merra's personality. The first Option was the one I thought up first. I don't know why I thought up the second personality, but I did. I am, however, unwilling to scrap the first thought without getting your all's opinion. Should my character be a fairly 'good girl' and be somewhat normal (option 1), or should she be a bit messed up (option 2)? Option two will definitely add more conflict later in the story. I would love to hear everyone's opinion.

And, as I said, having finally read all the character bio's, I ran across this for the first time today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Folwren, I have the feeling you won't like my character...
lol! Why ever not? Because she's a selfish, pompous snob or because she's had multiple lovers? Just kidding. I think it'll be fun.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-23-2010 at 07:02 AM.