Old 02-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

WRITING RESOURCES

Dictionaries and Thesaurus

From Mithadan

Another potential source for RPGs can be found here: Mirriam-Webster (dictionary and thesaurus).

--------------

from Mister Underhill

I hope you don't mind if I add a recommendation for Strunk & White's invaluable The Elements of Style. It should be available in any bookstore and is an essential addition to any writer's toolkit.

---------------

from Bęthberry

And, further to Mr. Underhill's recommendation of Strunk and White, here is an online version of Elements of Style.

Also helpful is this online edition of Roget's International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases. (A thesaurus is a dictionary of antonyms and synonyms--words which have either similar or opposite denotations (more or less the basic concept or meaning), with an eye towards the varying connotations (or subtle differences of meaning).

----------------------------------------

Bęthberry

For those of you who are interested in parsing sentence structure, here is an Internet Grammar of English from University College London.

---------------

from alaklondewen

Have you ever been stuck trying to find the perfect word? I found this page while browsing the site from a link Pio posted on the Shire RPG resources thread.

Glossary of Linguistics and Rhetoric

---------------

from Bęthberry

A very light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek look at plots: The Big List of RPG Plots

---------------

From Pio

A very interesting listing of collective nouns:

A murder of crows; a charm of hummingbirds . . .

--------------

From Marileangorifurnimaluim

Character development by C. J. Cherryh

---------------

from Bęthberry

What will be your character's function in the RPG you are planning?

Here's a brief description of various ways characters can influence plots.

---------------

From Imladris

Writerisms and other Sins: a Writer's Shortcut to Stronger Writing

---------------

from Ransom

While it's mainly geared toward more "traditional" role playing, this site has tips for everything from directing a group of evil characters to writing villans to creating every daay NPCs. I've found it extremely useful when you're out of inspiration or you're tired of the same old situations.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote