View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

MYTHOLOGY/FOLKLORE

from davem

Placing this link here as requested by Bethberry. http://kaedrin.com/ia/beings/powler.html

It links to a folklore site, on River Women/Hags.

---------------

From Bethberry

These sources are far more esoteric. These are online links to English translations of some of the old mythologies. They are for those fans who wish to immerse themselves in the literature which inspired Tolkien, perhaps coming to understand that inspiration better as a way of writing Tolkien-inspired work. They will be for reading on those dark fall and winter nights which approach us (well, those of us in the northern parts of the northern hemisphere!).

The Beowulf translation is not my favourite; that honour belongs to Seamus Heaney's 2000 bilingual edition, but unfortunately I cannot find even a sample of it online. This one looks good, though; done by W.H. Auden 'tis claimed. (I wonder if there is a Tolkien translation available?) I cannot vouch for the other translations.

Beowulf (Old English)

The Nibelungenlied (German)

~*~

from Bęthberry:

This site, Mysterious Britian gives brief summaries of the legends and folktales of ancient Britain.

The stories here can help us create an imaginative space for thinking about the resources which Tolkien drew upon for his stories. How could we recreate some of these figures in a Middle-earth context?

--------------

From Sharku

Sacred Texts.

Of special interest for Tolkienophiles may be the resources on Christianity (Tolkien liked Augustine I think), the complete Anglo-Saxon corpus, Prose and Poetic Edda, the Norse Annals and lists of rulers, and the Kalevala.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote