View Single Post
Old 06-21-2001, 04:36 PM   #9
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Principles of editing the Silmarillion

I am probably just nitpicking, but there is no real problem with the hair colour statement in LotR App. F vis a vis the other writings in HoME and elsewhere (I presume the auburn haired Noldor are primarly implied). While the App. F note (&quot;They [the Quendi] were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as kings ... They [the Eldar] were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finarfin...&quot;. The Eldar here are the Sindar and Noldor. If we take this strictly it is reasonable to infer that All the Noldor and Sindar were dark-haired save only the descendants of Finarfin. JRRT does mention in various places that the Noldor and Sindar are similar in appearence (both dark-haired and fair though the Sindar are less tall and slighter in build than the Noldor). App F. agrees with this. This would rule out the red headed Feanorians (and by extension the silver haired Elwians). However JRRT is generalising in the App. F description. If the statement were to be strictly interpreted then they would be major problems in the actual canon itself. Glorfindel, a Noldo, is golden-haired, Celeborn, a Sinda, is silver-haired and Thranduil, a Sinda, is golden-haired. Hence no real contradiction.

Tar-Elenion--------------------- I will come with Fire and Sword, and put your cities to the Torch, your men to the Blade, your women and children in Chains</p>