View Single Post
Old 07-15-2001, 09:06 PM   #18
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Principles of editing the Silmarillion

I have an addition to point 4 that seems to belong as it covers exactly the same permissions as to when to change and when not to change:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> 4. No new names <u>and no new expressions in Elvish or in any of J.R.R. Tolkien's special languages</u> may be introduced; all names <u>or expressions in J.R.R. Tolkien's special languages</u> that are <u>updated</u> must be changed either in accordance with a universal change by Tolkien or with a logical reason and a sound etymology.<hr></blockquote>As to Legolas, I would say this point allows the possibility of using Laegolas instead of Legolas in the fall of Gondolin material, as JRRT does give the former form as standard Sindarin and the latter form as &quot;a woodland name*** a dialectical form of pure Sindarin laegolas&quot;. I'm willing to accept that JRRT just might know what he is talking about!

It could be used as an example of what might be allowed if other criteria permit.

But the two forms still seem to me just variants of the same name, something like Shakespeare and Shakspere or Teresa and Theresa or Johnny and Johnnie or Connor and Conor or even Jacques and Jakes. (My seventh grade teacher was Mrs. Jacques, the name being pronounced as through spelled Jakes.) It doesn't necessarily distinguish Laegolas of Gondolin from Legolas of Mirkwood.

To further confuse are some notes by JRRT on the forms of names in his texts. From The War of Jewels (HoME 11), &quot;Maeglin&quot;, §4, on Egalmoth and Ecthelion:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> They are later popular forms of archaic Ægamloth, Ægthelion. Note amloth is said (where?) to be probably not S[indarin].<hr></blockquote>So here also we have names not in accord with perfect standard Sindarin, and one of which probably contains a non-Sindarin element. Then there is the SF explanation of Fëanor:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Fëanor is the form nearly always used in histories and legends, but is as it stands only half Sindarized: the genuine Sindarin form was Faenor; the form Feanor (the ë is only a device of transcription, not needed in the original) probably arose through scribal confusion, especially in documents written in Quenya, in which ea was frequent but ae did not occur.<hr></blockquote>We have familiar forms of names and even incorrect forms of names being used. As is often the practise of translators and historians, Bilbo (and probably many of his sources) would generally use the form of the name most familiar to the readers, which is not necessarily the pedantically accurate form. This would partly be comparable to popular use of Hercules for Heraklês, James in the New Testment for Greek Iakabos for Hebrew Ya`áqôb ('Jacob'), Jesus for Yéshûa`, William the Conqueror for Guillaume, Henry for various German kings named Heinrich, Mark Anthony for Marcus Antonius, St. Columba's island of Iona for proper Ioua and so forth.

So, though Legolas be dialectical, it does not need correcting into a theoretically proper form.

From the material in Letters the proper Quenya form would seem to be * Laicolassië as opposed to the Qenya form Laiqalassë in BoLT*2. But again, Legolas would be the same name as * Laicolassië, just as John for Ioannes, Jerome for Hieronymos, Austin for Augustinus, Mary for Maria, Maudlin for Magdalene, Jeff(e)r(e)y for Galfridus (via Geoffrey) and so forth.

Example for changing a name occurs in Fragment of an alliterative Lay of Eärendil where Thornsir is to be changed to Thoronhir on the bases that thorn 'eagle' in Tolkien's early texts univerally becomes thoron in later texts both standing alone and in compounds and that sîr 'stream' is lenited to -hir following general established rules of Sindarin and the example Minhiraith meaning 'Between the Rivers' (per the index to UT) and the example Limhir/ Limhîr from lim 'clear' + sîr 'stream' as found in The War of the Jewels (HoME 11) (see references in index).

Example of when a name cannot be changed: Tarnin Austa is given in FG as the Gnomish name for the feast called Gates of Summer, but in later Sindarin neither tarn 'gate' nor austa 'summer' is found, nor a stem from which tarn might derive. It may therefore be dropped as probably no longer valid or (more dubiously) kept as possibly valid but using rare forms; but a new Sindarin name for 'Gates of Summer' such as Ennyn Iavas, which translates the English literally, may not be invented as there would likely be more than one valid way to render 'Gates of Summer' into Sindarin and it cannot be shown that any particular Sindarin translation of the English words is necessarily the proper form for the name of the feast.

On point 7, I agree with Aiwendil that, if neither of the possible chronologies seems more likely, than it does come down to aesthetics: which one do you like most. At the moment I incline to follow Lindir for the reason he gave: I like the mention of spring in connection with the time of the festival and so am willing to accept the wandering as simply &quot;long&quot;.

One point 6*e: The addition of &quot;thwarting mazes&quot; made in the Eärendel fragment was totally in agreement with the story in all versions, though of different meaning than the words &quot;thirty moons&quot; which were removed. With verse we have the additional constraints of metre and either rhyme or alliteration or both to observe, and can't just drop words as in prose. In this case, if no suitable replacement can be found, it would be only one line dropped, but it might be an entire stanza in rhyming verse.

But I am willing to accept the constraint that replacement material must stand as a correction of the original text, not any replacement material that fits and agrees with the larger story.

If we accept the wandering of just over a year we can certainly change &quot;Of the thirst and hunger****of the thirty moons&quot; to &quot;Of the thirst and hunger****of the thirt<u>een</u> moons&quot;. That works perfectly, and it is indeed possible that the original thirty was a slip-of-the-pen for thirteen: two and a half years of wandering seems most unlikely.

If it is not a slip of the pen, then it must take priority over the earlier wandering of somewhat over a year, and since two and a half years is impossible to fit into any of the annal texts, either Tolkien later restored the original time of wandering from FG or had some other replacement in his mind, possibly now accepting the spring date for the festival.

If the short chronology of the wandering is accepted, eight months at the very most (to leave some time to rest in Nan-tathren), let's change the alliteration letter from th to h and try &quot;Of the thirst and hunger****of the <u>long, hard</u> moons&quot;, or better &quot;Of the <u>hunger and thirst</u>****of the <u>long, hard</u> moons&quot; to put the alliterating word first. Or maybe &quot;unhasty moons&quot;? Or &quot;unhurrying moons&quot;? Or &quot;wheeling moons&quot; ( wheeling sounded as hweeling as in some current English dialects and in older English speech everywhere)?

Or try m as the letter of alliteration and we can go with &quot;Of <u>much</u> thirst and hunger****of the <u>many</u> moons&quot;. I think I like this one best in that it changes meaning least though slightly disturbing the metre, and manages to include three words in the line beginning with the alliteration letter.

If some of these seem acceptable, than put in my original &quot;thwarting mazes&quot; as an example of a change that would not be allowed and one or more of the acceptable changes as allowable changes, not including just the change of &quot;thirty&quot; to &quot;thirteen&quot; which is too obviously alllowed as a simple change of a word to agree with another version of the tale.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000212>jallanit e</A> at: 7/15/01 11:28:55 pm
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote