View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 08:37 AM   #47
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And now for something completely different.

Begging your pardon that I must needs break character in order to explain how my genealogical background shows that in fact, I am related to myself.

England, indeed. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] * good-natured smile from one of British descent through relation to William the Conqueror *

Below please allow me to quote from a short file I received in e-mail from my father, whose interest in genealogy rivals that of any Hobbit. And when I asked in a phone discussion if his information was mere literary legend, I was told that in fact the information is based on actual history. I plan to question further to find out what sources the following information comes from, but meanwhile, I can't resist sharing this quote from my father:

Quote:
Alfhild Gandolfsdatter: Birth; about 665 in Denmark, Death 759 in Uppsala, Sweden: (Occupation: Princess of Sweden and Denmark)
Spouse: Sigurd "Ring" "the Sea King" Randversson [A King in Sweden and a King of Denmark] (Note: Sigurd was Alfhild’s half brother. Alfhild was raised by her stepfather, Randver Radbartsson, (a king of Sweden.) Randver was the grandson of Radbard, a king in Gardereige, Russia. Note: Sigurd “Ring” Died in 812 in Battle of Bravalla, Denmark. Note: Alfhild was already 65 years old when her husband Sigurd was born, obviously the marriage was arranged to assure that Sigurd would be king in two kingdoms at the same time.
Alfhild’s father was Gandolf Alfgeirsson
Gandolf Alfgeirsson was a king in Norway b: ABT 0710 in Vingulmork, Hedmark, Norway.] Mother: unknown
Just a reminder:
Name: **Frotho Frodo
Sex: M
Birth: 0820
Death: 0885

I wonder how many other names of our ancestors may have been borrowed by Tolkien for his book!
Gandalf ... descended from Gandolf, kin to Frodo
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote