View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #28
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I applaud the writing team (for possibly the <B>only</B> time) for the job they did with Boromir.<P>While Gandalf and Bilbo (remarkably!) lived up to absolutely <B>every</B> expectation, the character of Boromir was, in my opinion, a lot more fleshed out and believable than in the books. While others managed to get the essence of the character from reading The Fellowship of the Ring, the main picture I got was that he was this guy they were travelling with that nobody seemed to like very much. He's constantly being scolded by the heroes.<P>movieBoromir is much more likeable, but has not lost any of the sinister aspects or the eminent weakness and susceptibility to corruption of his race. It's hard to believe that such a horrible job was done on Faramir when Boromir was done so well. <P>Boromir's speech on Mordor at the Council of Elrond is the single greatest added piece of dialogue, mainly because Double 0 Bean's delivery is impeccable. Some script things I didn't agree with were:<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>his emotional breakdown in Lórien (but it does fit in with the weakening of the men of Minas Tirith)<LI>not having his shield in the final battle (making it much less believable)<LI>arriving immaculately groomed at Rivendell after a ride of over a thousand miles<LI>tripping over a pile of leaves?!</UL> <P>His blubbering after Frodo was quite funny though, LOL!! His costume was possible the greatest!